Effective Customer Service Program
10 Ways to Get Employees Engaged
How do we get our employees to engage in a customer service program?
Recently I asked subscribers to my newsletter to send in their most important customer service questions. A large percentage of the questions that came in focused on the subject of employee engagement. So, how do you get employees engaged in your process, beliefs, mission, vision, etc.? Here is an answer, in the form of a list to this frequently asked question.
1. Hire right. You need the right people in the right jobs.
2. Properly train your employees - both technical and soft skills.
3. Recognize people when they are successful.
4. Celebrate success with the entire organization. Share great stories.
5. Create a learning environment. When employees do well, applaud them. When there is a mistake, make it a positive learning experience.
6. Recognize that everyone is involved in focusing on the customer, not just the customer service department, and it starts at the very top of the organization. Customer service is not a department, it is a philosophy.
7. Be polite and show respect. Say please, thank you and let your people know you appreciate their hard work.
8. Give employees an incentive (and one that doesn't cost the company a lot of money) to promote engagement.
9. Team celebrations are an excellent way to reward an incentive as well as a commitment to a customer engagement program.
10. Finally, practice what I call the Employee Golden Rule, which is to treat your employees the way you want your customers treated - maybe even better.